8/09/2007

SO YESTERDAY by Scott Westerfeld

I was already a Scott Westerfeld fan when I read the Uglies series. So I assumed I’d like this book, SO YESTERDAY. The main character, a teen named Hunter, is paid to seek out the next fashion trends. I think it's a must-read for all teens because we're constantly trying to keep up with the latest trends. Having read this, I'll think twice before hopping on board the next fad.

While out hunting for potential fads, Trendsetter Hunter runs into Jen -- an Innovator. Innovators are the teens who come up with the new fashion trends through their own natural creativity. Hunter introduces Jen to the focus group he works for. The next evening they are supposed to meet Hunter's boss, Mandy, at an abandoned building, but they only find her cell phone and a mysterious cache of the most amazing new type of shoes -- shoes everyone will want. Enter the Jammers. Jammers want to thwart the Big Businesses making money off teen fads. This book made me realize how people are brainwashed by the media to want certain brands. We are made to think a certain way and to think that certain things are cooler or, "more skate" than others.

Like, Hunter, by the end of this book I ended up being all for the Jammers. I give this book 4.5 daggers out of 5. I think that I would have really loved the book if the Jammers were a little bit more powerful because cool is overrated in my eyes.





--Twyla Lee


Don't get me wrong...I love Scott Westerfeld. The Uglies/Pretties/Specials series was absolutely bloody brilliant. That being said, I found myself highly disappointed in SO YESTERDAY. Sure, the book was entertaining...but there wasn't much else to it. Nothing in the book really stirred me. I didn't care if the characters succeeded...hell, I didn't really care if they died. Somehow, neither the story or the main characters captured my imagination or interest in any significant way.

All in all, I felt that somewhere along the line Westerfeld lost the power of the message he was trying to convey. I already knew that we teenagers are brainwashed by the corporations and brand names every single day. No great epiphany was spawned during the reading of this book.

I give this book three daggers of the available five.

Brutally Honest......



5 comments:

Bri said...

i agree not scott-la's best work. but i dont think it was that bad. but it was confusing. i still dont understand why everyone got turned purple or why they were trying to give everyone siezures. but it was pretty funny u hav to admit. i mean come on, an angry mob of purple rich kids? i dont get much better than that. (sorry about the spoilers to all those who havent read this book)

Yours Truly said...

I thought the purple bit was awesome. The book wasn't as good as... well, any of Scott Westerfeld's others, but I think I liked it more than Twyla or Avery...
It was all a bit far-fetched, though. But that's what made it fun.

-- Aislinn Ai

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. "So Yesterday" was the first book i read by Scott Westerfeld, so i wasn't sure if it was 'one of his bests'. Even so, it was interesting and opened my eyes into the world of consumerism. I learned a lot of new facts and information. ALthough, i got a bit confused and had to re-read the book. It wasn't the best book i've read, i have to admit, but it was still an enjoyable read! :P

ilikepie2414 said...

I liked this book a lot. It was nothing like I would have thought, but was really good.

Anonymous said...

I liked it myself, it was probably my favorite of his books, followed closely by Peeps, and then the Midnighters... I can see the point of others though, because this really is about the sociology of consumerism, or in simpler terms, a really complex way to look at something that seemed so simple... So, I loved it, but I can see your point of veiw also...