11/07/2007

Girl at Sea

Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson is about-- who would have guessed?-- a girl at sea.

Clio Ford is a 17-year-old girl with a most fabulous tattoo and, she thinks, a most fabulous summer plan. But then Things Go Terribly Wrong. Her mother, an artist (Clio is an artist as well) gets a fellowship for the summer that causes her to move to Kansas. Clio has to give up her summer job at the art store with the Cute Boy and spend the summer with her father on a yacht in Italy. Oh, the horror.

Yacht = good, right? Clio doesn't think so. Bad relationship with father + no Cute Boy + no art store = lots of teen angst. But it's all good fun. And anyway, there's another Cute Boy, and he's much more awesome.

Anyhow, there's an ancient archeological mystery, some jellyfish, and much snarkyness. Read it. Don't let the cover fool you-- it's good.*

Oh and Aiden (that's the Cute Boy-- the one on the boat, I mean, not the one from the art store) is most wonderful. And he has great hair.

I bestow upon this book 3.5 daggers, because it is enjoyable and very entertaining, not to mention well written... but it's fairly frivolous. I mean, it's not a great work of liturature, but who wants to read nothing but great works of literature?** But, I mean, it's good, but it's, er...

Okay. I'll say it.

It's a girly book.

You got a problem with that?



Laughing at headless girls, reading girly books, fearing jellyfish, and yours,



*For some reason, two other books by Maureen Johnson have covers with girls who only have half of a head. Disturbing.


** Okay, so quite a few people, but my point is NOT ME.

4 comments:

ReaderGirl said...

Sounds good! Ah well what's life without a shallow book or 2 once and a while! :P

Unknown said...

Any book is better than none, I suppose.

The Baron Aaros of Ahnduron

PS -- And, after all, who could possibly resist NICE HAIR? Like like like omg totally, as it were.

Stasia D said...

The headless thing has been going on for some time now. I posted some distress about it a year or so ago. Sigh. So many of the headless girls grace some really fun books too. Can you be fun and still have a head?

Anonymous said...

I didn't care for this one too much. Especially because I had just finished 13 Little Blue Envelopes which I LOVED. I was really disappointed by Girl at Sea.

-Mollie