5/27/2008

Gilda Joyce: The Ghost Sonata by Jennifer Allison

I've been a fan of author Jennifer Allison and the hilarious Gilda Joyce since the first book. Gilda Joyce is a fourteen-year-old "Psychic Investigator" and avid writer. She lives by the knowledge in her copy of the Master Psychic's Handbook. Every time she senses something is paranormal, she gets a tingle in her ear.

The Ghost Sonata is the third book in this wonderful series. In it, Gilda accompanies her friend Wendy and the other Young International Virtuosos Piano Competition contestants to England. The mystery starts at the airport. While waiting for the plane, Gilda pulls out her tarot cards and gives Wendy a reading. Though Gilda tries valiantly to put a cheerful spin on possible meanings as Wendy pulls the first two cards, she secretly has to admit this is one of the worst readings she has ever seen. And then the third card Wendy pulls is the Death Card. The group arrives safely in England, but in the middle of the night, Wendy hears an unfamiliar and haunting melody. It keeps playing over and over in her mind, interrupting her thoughts. Then more dark tarot cards from a mysterious deck appear and finally -- the ghostly figure of a boy.
Though the story was captivating, what I love most is the character of Gilda Joyce. Jennifer Allison made her so witty and a phenomenal improviser. When Gilda's brother Stephen tells her to not take things so seriously, I couldn't stop laughing for about five minutes. Gilda is unpredictable and her antics keep me guessing.
Psychic Investigator and The Ladies of the Lake are the first two books. They can be read in any order, all are marvelous, and I highly recommend them.

Five daggers out of five. Surprising, I know.





- Twyla Lee

6 comments:

Reese said...

the thing about Gilda Joyce is that she scares the crap outta me. I know, I know, I'm a chicken. but that's how it works.

Anonymous said...

your Amazon links are screwed up, at least on my computer- just to let you know.

Paper Crane said...

I was wondering who did the drawings for all of your blogs? They are amazing! Great artist, and great reviews! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
The drawings were done by illustrator Maurie J. Manning (http://www.mauriejmanning.com/). She illustrates/writes wonderful children's books, as well.

said...

Have you guys read the book Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk? It's a very good book, and I'm kind of interested in whether you would like it.
It's a wonderful book.
If you haven't read it, I suggest you should ;]

<3Daisy

Melissa Walker said...

I read the first one and loved Gilda. I am totally buying them all for my niece.