1/11/2010

Nightlight: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

For those of you who desire the short, sweet version, Nightlight is a parody of Twilight. The basic storyline is similar enough to mock Twilight, yet different enough to be its own work of fiction. Belle Goose moves from Pheonix to Switchblade, Oregon to live with her father Jim, a window wiper. Belle has an obsession with dating a vampire. At her new school, she meets Edwart Mullen, a super-hot (yet fictitious) computer nerd with such a lack of social skills, one could argue he has negative social skills. After noticing a few events, such as Edwart leaving his lunch untouched, Belle realizes Edwart is a vampire. Clearly, this girl is a master of the scientific method.

I would say more in my quick summary, but I don't want to spoil the book! It's a very short read. Therefore, the summary is also short. Ironically, my summary for the 400 something page Twilight is about the same length... Quality beats quantity, which is why I recommend Nightlight over Twilight. Nightlight is hilarious! The book is like a Mel Brooks' movie. It's totally cheesy, it's a bit stupid at times, but overall, it is amazing! Some parts will make you laugh out loud (which you can shorten to "lol" if you wish). Other parts will seem a bit over-the-top and stupid. However, the length of the book makes the stupid parts less annoying.

There's not a whole lot to review in regards to this book. It's a parody. Is it funny? Yes. Therefore, it is a success. I recommend reading it, for kicks and giggles.

Four humorous daggers out of five.






Yours vampirically,
Gabriel Gethin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to read one of these. They sound interesting and hilarious. There's so much material that Twilight has given us haha. Thanks for the review. ;)

MissA said...

This sounds awesome! I really didn't like Twilight so I think I'll love a parody of it. I hadn't heard of this book so thanks for reviewing it :)

La Coccinelle said...

I think I might have to read this one...

I've got something for you here:
http://theladybugreads.blogspot.com/2010/01/recent-awards.html

KIKA said...

Oh my goodness, I saw this book at the store turned it over, read the back, laughed, turned it back over, saw the eaten apple and laughed some more. I'm so glad this book is funny! I'll have to go back and get my hands on my own little copy.